The first public school educational establishment founded in the colony and with the longest continuous history of any public school in Australia w...
The first public school educational establishment founded in the colony and with the longest continuous history of any public school in Australia was the Launceston Church Grammar School for boys. An initial meeting to establish the school was held on May 14, 1838 and found a suitable piece of ground in Elizabeth Street Launceston with the school opening on June 15, 1846.
As a group of Alumni working in the Launceston Grammar and Broadland Archives it was decided to commemorate the 175th anniversary by displaying the many changes over the years of the School uniforms. Café 1846, with its wonderful display cases, gave us an opportunity to display both Launceston Grammar and Broadland school uniforms received from donations of past Alumni to the archives over the years.
We hope you will visit the Senior Campus to reminisce over the many different school uniforms. The straw boaters with black hatbands worn by the boarders when leaving the school grounds from 1895 to 1928 is displayed and belonged to Leonard Lindsay Lawrence, who was a boarder in 1892 at Elizabeth Street. School Captain in 1955 Philip Roff’s sports blazer is on display. Phillip was the son of a former Headmaster Norman Hollidale Roff 1936-1940 who whilst serving as headmaster enlisted in the army and paid the supreme sacrifice when killed in action in Timor in 1942.
During 1910 to 1940 the striped blazer and straw boater with striped hat band were worn by senior sport teams, then later worn by all sports teams along with the light blue cap. In 1924 to 1974 The grey suit was worn with the royal blue cap, with the white cap worn by prefects.
A Broadland brown felt hat with the school band once was worn by Mary Dent (nee Wilson) who attended the school as a boarder in 1942. In the 1950s, the summer uniform of brown and white gingham was worn by students in Kindergarten to Grade 3, all students wore a Panama hat and gloves. From 1955 to 1971 during winter, the brown uniform was worn with a beret, prefect’s blazers were piped in blue braid. The uniform again changed to the brown check in 1972 until 1982 when the school amalgamated with Launceston Grammar.
Both the Launceston Grammar Archives on the Senior Campus at Mowbray and the Broadland Archives on the Junior Campus at Lyttleton Street wish to thank the past Alumni for the many donations to the School and are always thankful for any new items that past students would like to donate.
Rosemary Stobart – President BHOGA