A Chapter of the Old Launcestonians initially open to all boys who had attended school at Elizabeth Street in what is now the Colonial Motor Inn. The idea of the chapter is variously attributed to Sir Raymond Ferrall (who became its first and only chairman), and to then Development Manager Stuart Bryce, although Fred Marriott certainly played a role in the organisation of the first meeting. This was held in March 1988 at the Colonial Motor Inn and festivities also included a Mayoral Reception, tours of the ‘new’ school, and a service at St Johns on the Sunday.
From the third one in 1992 these reunions have been held at the Mowbray campus. The dinner was changed to a lunch in 2002 and from 2004 the chapter has met annually rather than biennially.
With numbers steadily diminishing, in 1994 the Chapter decided to admit as members any old boy who had attended school prior to 1934. In 1996 the qualification was further changed when it was decided to add two classes at each reunion year. Finally in 2002 or 2004 the qualification was changed to include all old boys out of school for fifty years or more.
At the earlier meetings widows of past members as well as wives were also invited to attend but this practice seems to have ceased after the 2000 reunion. As an independent group they contributed towards the costs of the 1990 Building Campaign and the roofed in area between the Warren McDonald building and the Science building was named the Elizabeth Street Chapter Mall (opened in 1992). An Honour Board located there lists the individual members who contributed.